Hey guys, how is your week going so far? Hopefully you are able to see your issues in perspective.
The past week for me has been pretty fun! I went to a Christmas party (although I drank too much, bloody hangovers are the worst), watched a few movies and ate some tasty food with friends.
I thought I would write about meditation, why I like it so much and why you should also like it ;).
I don’t know about you, but often I get the feeling that the idea of meditating is a taboo topic and is something only hippies do.
Well I am here to tell you its not and I am going to make it cool. Although you shouldn’t meditate to be cool you should do it because you want to ;). To delve deep into who you are and connect with yourself in the most beautiful way.
Meditation has many associated health benefits that include: helping to deal with depression and anxiety, improved sleep, improved creative ability and many more. Although my favorite is just that it allows you to be silent and at one with yourself. This allows your own inner wisdom speak to you .
I have been meditating for over a year now, while in an ideal world I would do it everyday I probably meditate about 4 times a week, which for me is realistic.
So here is how you get started!
- Make sure you chose a time where you will be uninterrupted, maybe the beginning or end of the day.
- If you have incense or a candle you can light that to give the room a beautiful smell and feeling.
- Either you can sit in silence or listen to meditation music that can be found on YouTube or ITunes by typing in ‘Meditation Music’.
- If possible sit cross-legged and straight up on a comfy cushion or if you find this uncomfortable you can sit straight up on a comfortable chair. I like to keep my eyes open, looking down at the floor as this keeps you feeling present and in the moment, although you can close them if you would like to.
- Palms facing upwards, to signify that you are open to the world.
- Breathing should be regular and calm: a deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to get the air into your diaphragm – so that if you put your hand on your stomach you will be able to feel it fill with air.
- Try to focus all of your attention on your breath. If you find your mind wandering that’s okay, it might be an important idea so if it is, write it down but then get back to your deep breathing and focusing on your breath.
- You can count your breaths from 1 to 10, when you reach 10 go back to 1 and repeat. It can be tricky when starting to do this so if you find your mind wondering simply go back to 1.
- I like to ask the question to myself: “What do I need to hear”. Saying this just opens the door for your own internal wisdom to help guide you to find the answers you are seeking.
The amount of time you spend meditating is up to you, although I would recommend 20 minutes, if you are rushed for time 10 minutes is still great!
Remember this is just a beginners guide and there are so many other ways out there to meditate and become silent, this just works for me.
If you have another way of becoming more at peace with yourself you should do that and let me know so I can try it :).
Alternatively just relax and get some casual and fun styling ideas from my photos.
Until next time, Happy Meditating!
Stay strong within yourself
Top: About Eve/Jeans: Lee/ Shoes: Mollini/ Headband: General Pants/ Photography: Michael Stevens